A few years ago, I wrote a book review about Crêpes by Suzette by Monica Wellington that my daughter Chloe had just picked up from the library. The book was out of print but I really loved collage style of the book mixing city and scenery photographs of Paris with illustrations. It's just a fantastic book! Now for our digital age, lucky for us Wellington has launched an app of the book. It's truly the book form come to life for Apple and Android devices.
You can have the book read to you not only in English but also a host of other languages (French, Spanish, German, Japanese and Italian). Chloe likes to find all the easter eggs on the page which will activate the french word they are learning on the page (i.e. "On y va!" - let's go). There's is also a DIY Crepes section where kids can get a recipe and watch videos on how to make their own crêpes.
At anytime on a particular page, kids can click on the top icon which will give kids access to a variety of additional info:
- The map shows all of the arrondissements in Paris and where Suzette's crepe cart is.
- The video button shows a video of the famous landmark on the page.
- The photo button shows more real-life photos of the area featured in Paris.
- The vocabulary button translates the highlighted french word on the page into each language.
- The art button lets kids can also learn about the famous artwork featured on the page.
It's a great app for kids to learn about Paris and art. I love seeing this paper book come to life!